Strengthening Sports culture and nurturing young talents to excel at Olympic level.
Khelo India: Earlier we had seen how we can strengthen the sports standards in our country and the wonderful track record of our performance in the earlier games.
Further to revive the sports culture in India and to establish India as a sporting nation Khelo India school games 2018 under Khelo India programme is held from January 31st to 8th February 2018. Under-17 athletes were invited to participate in 16 disciplines such as
The ministry of Sports had also established ‘Talent identification development committee’ (TIDC) during the inaugural of Khelo India programme. Prime Minister Narendra Modi during the inauguration said ‘Khelo India games’ is a first step in making India a strong participant at the Olympic level.
“The best athletes will be given the best training and the best coaches. If needed we will send them abroad for better training,” PM Modi said at the launch of the tournament.
The Sports minister Col. Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore “The government is targeting 1000 athletes in the first edition a decision on the training venues and coaches will take soon. We prefer that athletes train close to their home ground. In case an athlete wants to train with a personal coach, the government will provide financial assistance,’’. The minister also said that the overall standards might not be very high in the first edition but the minister is very hopeful of the improvements in the future competitions.
Let us have a look at state-wise Medal Rally khelo India (Top 10) from Maharashtra to Uttarakhand
- Silver medallist of World youth championship Jeremy Lalrinnunga had won a gold medal in weightlifting representing Maharashtra. He lifted 115 kg in snatch and 136 kg in clean.
- Jacob Vanlaltluanga representing Maharashtra won silver medal lifting total 247 kg.
- Trupti Mane won in weightlifting in girls 58 kgs.
- Maharashtra also won 4 gold medals from the pool as Kenisha Gupta and Neel Roy got two gold medals each in boys and girls section.
- On the 7th Day of competitions, Haryana won two gold medals for judo. Priya topped in 40 kg girls, Harish in 50 kg boys and Nitesh Kumar had a bronze medal in boys 55 kgs.
- Manipur won two gold medals in weightlifting. Pothshangbam Umeshwori won in girls section 63 kgs. Lamabam Nilam Devi won in girls section 53 kgs.
- Sivalingeshwara Sai of Telangana won the weightlifting medal lifting 239 kgs.
- Uttarpradesh State and Bidisha Gayen from West Bengal won a gold medal each in gymnastics.
- Some of them also feel that the participation in wrestling was not up to the expectation and there were confusions as some of the names did not reflect in the official list of Khelo India School games. However, no one can deny that KISG 2018 is a great initiative in making India a Sports Hub.
For more details on the medal rally, participants and the details of the games can be found on https://kheloindia.gov.in/